Tuesday, March 17, 2009

we don't exist

One of the things that's weird about writing on here, and then doing my show, is that I connect with people I don't know. I attempt to maintain a semblance of anonymity, but I have had people put two and two together and figure out it was me.

There are some that I've interacted with occasionally in real life who I know read what I write on here, but have no clue that we're one and the same. One of my listeners called up this morning and I realized I knew who he was but he wouldn't know who I was even though we've met before.

It reminded me of how different my life is at 25 rather than 21. I can't remember the last time I've been to a vegan potluck or watched someone's band play in a living room. I'm no longer a college kid going to shows three nights a week and showing up to work in old jeans and a Clash t-shirt.

Despite any countercultural attitude I once had, I now have a real job where I have to look respectable and an existence that is always surprising but not in a way that is easily explainable. I didn't put enough effort into my appearance to be part of any scene, but now I've almost completely dropped out of that whole thing. And to be honest, I don't miss it much at all.

It's funny because people will get these ideas about you being this totally cool person with this great show or a neat blog, but if you didn't know me, you'd never know it was me.

oh yeah, and these guys are coming through Cleveland in June for the first time in forever. This 90's girl is going to be there for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ knows your name, who you are, the things you do, and the way you feel. He loves you with an everlasting love. I pray that He will truly be your first love, and as you abide in Him and His word you will reap, true love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and selfcontrol. These will freely be your action and your comfort because of the grace of God.

Randal Graves said...

You can't fool us. We know you're a soldier for the counterculture.