Thursday, March 19, 2009

assimilation

It's like I have a whole new family of younger siblings now from another continent. I'm hanging out on the porch, having dinner, taking the kids to class, trying to figure out how to get the older brother's computer to work.

I've got one of the girls in my car on the way over and she likes the Amadou & Mariam I have on the stereo and says it reminds her of Africa and starts talking about singing and dancing and her dad cutting down palm trees and how she misses it there so much. I can't even imagine what that would be like.



I had music practice for church after tutoring class last night and a couple of the kids begged me to let them come too. I checked first with the parents, and brought them along. They were all shy at first, sitting in the pews watching everything, but my roommate brought them up to sing and when we were done, we let them play with our instruments.

I have never seen two kids more happy than when they were given free reign over the drumset and the djembe. They have better rhythm than I do, and me and Joe were actually able to play along with them. Seriously awesome.

From March & April

1 comment:

Terri said...

That is super awesome!