Monday, February 9, 2009

escapism

There's a couple things that I'd rather not go into just because they've been stressful and somewhat beyond my control.

That being said, it was a good weekend as I tried not to think about certain things and did a somewhat good job of that. I chilled out Friday, stopped by to see my mom and sister the next morning, picked up some much needed work clothes and some good records in the dollar bin at the Goodwill in Parma (Bill Withers, the Zombies).

Took a walk since it was finally not cold and later drove out to Coventry to meet up with some of my favorite people and catch a show at the Grog Shop that I gave away tickets for. Enjoyed the great sounds and energy of Poetic Republic (who are, of course, leaving for the greener pastures of Brooklyn), and Winslow (who'd I'd never heard before, but enjoyed as well). Met up with one of my listeners, saw friends I haven't seen in awhile.

I had originally picked up tickets for this show since it was one of members of Digable Planets gone solo but I didn't end up staying for the whole set because I had to be up early the next morning to do music at church and it wasn't quite that lush jazzy vibe I was hoping for. Maybe it's just that I'm not really into the 420/ Nation of Gods and Earths combo. That might have something to do with it.

Speaking of music, a good friend of mine that I've enjoyed playing with in the past, is looking to start playing out this summer. Like me, he appreciates the best of every genre so it will be interesting to see what that leads to. One of the reasons that last summer was so amazing was because I got to get off of work and jam a couple days a week. I'd love to get back into that.

No comments: