Friday, September 5, 2008

two of those things you're not supposed to discuss in polite company.

Here we go again with the politics and religion.

I have not watched any news or television coverage of either convention. Past experience has made me this way after a round of cussing out the tv and throwing things at it. The level of condescension to the Obama family galls me just as much as the people who find it disgusting that Sarah Palin has five kids. Who really cares? Do we need to talk about baby mamas and white trash right now? What does that solve, or does it just make everyone feel good about themselves?

It's been a lot more interesting this election cycle, but just as frustrating too. I don't see much changing for the better in this country. I get wary of people who think that way, who think that they are or that someone else is the answer.

I get so tired of both sides invoking God as if he's that cosmic buddy who happens to agree with their side rather than have his own absolute perspective that transcends the bounds of conservative and liberal.

I don't think God told anyone to invade Iraq, or that he loves us people in the United States more than the rest of the world. I don't picture him as an old white guy sitting up in the clouds zapping evildoers with lightning bolts like Zeus. To be honest, I see more real faith and belief in God in the people that I've met who didn't grow up here, where what you believe in actually has consequences and can cost you your social standing, employment, or life.

I also don't think that in the words of Donald Miller, that Jesus "... gave his own life against the forces of injustice." Sure, He was executed in an unjust manner under the auspices of a corrupt government and religious establishment, but that's oversimplifying everything.

If I remember right, and this is what I heard every week going to Mass as a kid and preached Sunday morning currently, it was our collective sins right? Injustice is one of those, and it's a horrible thing, but it's surely not the only one that humanity is guilty of...

1 comment:

Randal Graves said...

To alcohol. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

I swear, I detect a bit o' cynicism here. It makes me happy. Sniff.

As for the throwing thing, I suggest investing in a Nerf ball. Quite cathartic.