Friday, September 19, 2008

the finer things in life

Books and music! And art, I guess, but I can't afford to buy that so I make it myself.

I went to the Lakewood Library book sale last night after work and despite certain individuals still thinking I listen to avant-garde jazz and am vegetarian, it was somewhat successful. I did not find any of these books, but these are 5
that I still have not gotten around to reading, or finishing.

The Satanic Verses (I actually own this but haven't finished it)
Lord of the Flies
At Swim Two-Birds (need to brush up on my Irish mythology before I tackle this one)
Anna Karenina (never finished this one)
Ulysses/Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (I've read "Dubliners" but nothing else by him).

Honestly, it was hard to come up with five, because between being an English major, and reading voraciously all my life, I've pretty much knocked out most of the Dead White Male canon and then some as I've been working my way through all the stuff I missed as far as African-American writers and world literature goes. Though I still haven't read any Faulkner. I'm kind of intimidated by it, I guess.

1 comment:

Randal Graves said...

Don't finish the Rushdie book otherwise the automatic fatwa starts.