Monday, August 30, 2010

summer coda

My weekend began with an unexpected dinner on the back porch, with my roommate's family and some other friends downing Ethiopian-spiced spaghetti, injera, and curry.

Since the nights are finally cool and the evening was already feeling festive, we got out the fire pit and roasted marshmallows, and invited the little punks who run around the neighborhood over where they proceeded to be hilarious in the way that only middle school kids can be, pretending to be older than they obviously are and trying to talk up my roommate's sister who responds, "what are you, like 12 or something?" which they are.

Saturday was a weird day with a lot of random errands, the general frustration of the earlier post, and existential spiritual questions being pondered by candlelight in my kitchen over cups of citrus tea, but Sunday was full of art-making and east side adventuring with the partner in crime.

We had originally planned on going in search of Jamaican food but every single place we drove by was closed, so we called Joe, the source of all knowledge of directions, interesting places, diners, and dives, and he sent us to "Everything and Then Some," a soul food spot in East Cleveland.

The sun was so perfect and golden and everything was chill, we were singing along to the Fugees and driving down Euclid past cheap motels, storefront churches, corner stores with handpainted signs and silver Cadillacs parked out front.



We finally found it, across from the I Have A Dream Cafe and the Superfly Barber Shop, and as promised, it was so good even if I did get the side-eye from every woman there.

"They think you're another girl stealing their men..." "Little do they know the ugly truth that we're just friends..."

(photo courtesy of ClevelandSGS)

Totally satisfied with our greens, sweet potatoes, and cornbread, we went to my new favorite lakefront spot at Villa Angela (thanks Bridget!) and lay on the rocks by the water listening to music, talking, drifting in and out of sleep as the lake breeze rustled the cottonwood trees above us. and then walked up the beach taking photos of the rocks, the sand, and the people before heading back to the west side.

I can't believe this summer has gone so quickly. It's been absolutely crazy and incredibly beautiful in so many unexpected ways. School's back in session and I'm wondering if I should bother with this creative writing class I'm signed up for because when it's nice out like this I just don't have the time to be inside watching plays or people read poetry, I want to be doing my own creating.

3 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Nights are finally cool? Recheck your Doppler One Million.

Should have taken the Shakespeare.

that girl said...

I loved taking a whole semester of Shakespeare as an undergrad. Sadly, the TTh classes do not fit into my schedule as decided by the Powers That Be.

Ricky Shambles said...

You give Cleveland a glimmer of solace that I rarely see when I return (almost weekly) and was apparently too brazen or jaded to see when I lived there. Thank you for that.