Friday, October 23, 2009

To throw away the pen and pad and simply be the poem

I wasn't planning on doing much last night.

I had a radio station meeting that I had to go to and unlike most times after sundown during the week when the city is deserted, there was both the circus and Jay-Z downtown. It actually felt like we lived in a thriving metropolis for a little bit there.

I had a ticket to the Saul Williams show last night and wasn't feeling terribly motivated but then me and a fellow DJ stopped at A.J. Rocco's and I got some caffeine in me and then we caught the show downtown.

I am so glad I went.

I missed Saul when he came to Kent State, and I've missed him at least three times since I moved back to Cleveland and he is easily one of the most charismatic performers I've ever seen, wish I could put words together and make them powerful, enunciate them like that. And he covered one of my favorite U2 songs:



I wasn't feeling the other acts so much so I used that time to run to the restroom where this random girl from Akron got talking to me. She was either very friendly or somewhat inebriated because she ended up going up to him as he was chilling in the hallway and we ended up hanging out with him while the other band was going on. I didn't really say too much because I could barely hear but he talked about his kids and Paris.

So yeah, glad I stayed out that night...

"...To manifest your dreams before you manifest your fears
To navigate beyond the treachery of self despair
To find the balance between all you sense and all you see
To find the patience and the strength it takes to let it be
To stand amongst the crowd and have the strength to hold your own
To throw away the pen and pad and simply be the poem
To rise above hatred to love through seeming contradiction
To seldom take a side and learn to compliment the friction.
To bring about the change within that we can't live without.
To shift and re-arrange ideals and learn to deal with doubt..."

No comments: