Tuesday, May 26, 2009

memoria

This weekend...

Watched the 3rd quarter of the Cavs game with the guys downstairs, got depressed, decided to spend all night painting, found out they won the next morning. Did some basic grocery shopping between the West Side Market and La Boricana, which is the best store ever because they have Coca-Cola in glass bottles, beer from Namibia (that I haven't tried), Goya everything, and foods I don't know how to cook and really good plantains and tamarind candy.

One of the ladies shopping there took a look at the contents of my basket and was surprised that I cook Latin food, and I didn't have the heart to tell her that I really don't know what I'm doing, I just kind of mash everything together until it tastes good.

ESL class was cancelled so we picked up Muk and drove out to Whipps Ledges in Hinckley singing along to the Fugees and had a good time just being out in the middle of nature surrounded by huge rocks and lots of trees and vines that we tried to swing from.





It was such a chill weekend spent with good people... did a Saturday night drive to good tunes after the hiking, friends from Ethiopian church made us amazing food and coffee Sunday night, visited my grandparents, gave a friend of mine a crash course in driver's ed in the empty West Side Market parking lot using cardboard boxes and old beer cans as markers before heading up to Edgewater to walk along the beach. I know Edgewater's dirty and everything but it doesn't bother me at all.

Kent came up to the station this morning to play his demo and hang out and while my setlist is pretty scattershot, it was super fun, and evidently my incessant playing of Amadou & Mariam has won them some new fans. My playlist was too jumbled this morning but I can tell you that I played the Clash, the Pixies, Lupe Fiasco, Beck, and Massive Attack.

Someone at the station discovered this gem, the only album by the All Sports Band, which includes the cut "Turn This Game Around," which we dedicated to Lebron James. It sounds like the cover looks, bad 80's rock with guitar solos and lines like "I'll protect you from evil / with my heart of steel."



Not surprisingly, at least 2 of the band members are from our fair city though this is the first I've heard of them probably because we don't want to own up to this.

1 comment:

Randal Graves said...

If you really loved Cleveland, you would help bury this cultural artifact forever.