Thursday, April 2, 2009

something for the girls

I went to a wedding this past weekend, and my sister is getting married this August and occasionally in social situations people ask "well what about you?" and I always give them some halfhearted answer usually relating to haven't-met-the-right-person or I'm-enjoying-the-single-life and hope that someone changes the subject.

I find it ironic that whenever girls I know talk about how feminist or independent or radical they are, they are always the ones who end up getting married and having kids. I guess it's like being a college kid anarchist who eventually ends up working at a bank or something.

I thought that was just among my circle of acquaintances and friends who usually majored in something like English or Sociology and minored in Women's Studies, but evidently there are some high profile examples of this phenomenon:

Ani Difranco


Corin Tucker


Kathleen Hanna


I find it incredibly funny that Ms. Revolution Girl Style Now is married to one of the men behind this song:



Just sayin'.

On that note, here's some shoegaze/britpop bittersweetness for you all.

2 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Now that's taking 'selling out to The Man®' literally. Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

Laura said...

Why do feminism and marriage have to stay separate, though? If you approach marriage in the right way (as a partnership, without one partner being the "boss" over the other), then marriage fits very well into the feminist point of view.

I will say that far too much emphasis is placed on getting married and not near enough is placed on figuring out ourselves first and finding someone with whom we can make those marital promises and actually keep them.