Tuesday, December 6, 2011

unwitting

A paper in need of revision, books uncracked due to the winding down of the semester and the tiresomeness of digesting selective narratives. It's said I need to know these names and dates, but drained of all vitality, this process fails to ignite the spark.

In between the patronizing tone of the textbook, I've been reading Ryszard Kapuściński's 'Travels With Herodotus' and Herodotus, the "Father of Lies" himself. The writing of both is beautiful and captures the wildness of the world, and the stuff of legends and truth stranger than fiction.

We joke that one could make a fantastic doom metal concept album based on Herodotus's observations. "Fish-Eaters and the Crystal Coffin," "Snakes With Wings," "The Dead Are Buried in Honey." And I know not everything has to be literary, but I like the visceralness, the writing about people and the tales they tell, that make these distant times come alive in a way that didactic sermonizing and names and dates cannot.

But it's only one more week, and the skies grow darker, and I feel so detached from all this business of holidays and stripped of all real creativity. Here's hoping it comes back, and here's some sonic beauty for the meantime

2 comments:

Randal Graves said...

I swear I'm going to get that damn guitar fixed so I can start churning this beautiful bizarrerie out since some people who shall remain nameless, Neige, are working on a different plane that I'll never get to.

Forgot the dates, sorry.

that girl said...

YOU'RE THE WORST CLASSMATE EVER AND OBVIOUSLY NOT A REAL HISTORIAN.

Which is why I'm looking forward to the mutuality of learning about the Middle East next semester.

At the very least, churn out some Storm of the Yeti absurdity into a boombox. And thanks to you I'm noticing creepy parallels between lo-fi indie kids and troo kvlt berzerkers that make me chortle. More on that later.