Friday, December 17, 2010

ain't gonna work for a soul-suckin' jerk

My inner cynic wonders if the pending budget cuts will result in yours truly having to seek other legal means of income. It's not that I mind the prospect of factory work, mopping floors, or delivering pizzas, it's just that I enjoy my employment so much because it's enabled me to not only sustain my minimalist lifestyle, but to continue to open my world in so many ways and not to feel like I've sold my soul. That is so worth it to me.

And I work with a pretty awesome crew. I might get snarky sometimes but I really do love the students and my compadres and am glad I don't have to wear a power suit and heels. Being a cultural if not biological Gen-Xer means I've cultivated an amused and sometimes snarky attitude when it comes to motivational maxims and Orwellian jargon. I don't see why the Powers That Be want to know my religious preferences and musical tastes and if I'm prejudiced against anyone. That just seems like a bad idea all around.

I wonder if my inability and aversion to general brownnosing and ladder-climbing will be the death of me, but I'm hoping I can float through under the radar like I always have, because at this point, I want to stick around awhile.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you don't get swept out by the broom of the system, not to be a broken record but a professional grad degree may offer a bit of refuge from the recession, and some say about your work, without making you into an admin. suit.
it's the gen-x thing to do.

Randal Graves said...

it's enabled me to not only sustain my minimalist lifestyle, but to continue to open my world in so many ways and not to feel like I've sold my soul.

I hope that's going in your success journal.

So, should we start cultivating a list of movers and shakers?

that girl said...

@DMF, I'm a cynical kid with a master's that kept me from getting hired a lot of places for fear that I was 'overqualified' and only got this job because I decided not to mention such credentials on my resume.

I am, however, seriously considering working my classes into a post-bac history degree and possibly jumping into the pretty good Urban Studies program here.

@Randal,
Between your misanthropic literary genius and my winning smile, I think we've got a shot, but we need a cooler phone and possibly a blog to chronicle our 'successes' at laughing in the face of total absurdity.

Anonymous said...

ah see you are ahead of the curve, must be the difference between being genxer by culture vs birth. carry on then young padawan

Randal Graves said...

If additional bloggery will mean less workin' for soul-suckin' jerks, sign me up.

Would fancy phones put a dent in the budget?

Anonymous said...

fancy phones with video and you two could start a reality show
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/12/where-young-people-go-to-retire.html